Even if you can find cactus in every store on all sorts of shapes and sizes, you can plant your own cactus in other ways: from seeds. Here are some suggestions from cacti specialists that will help you grow these beautiful plants!
Benefits of Growing Cactus from Seeds:
1. Seeds are cheap and you can find pay for them a few pennies. Also, you can get them at no costs from the plants you already have.
2. From these seeds you can get a lot of plants. You can make your own collection or turn it into gifts for friends.
3. You can get more species and cacti varieties that you can’t find it in stores and in the form of ready-to-grow plants.
4. You can observe almost the whole life cycle of the cactus.
The stages of obtaining cactus by seeds
1. The first thing you need to grow the seeds is a suitable pot. For the beginning, you can use any plastic container. Even plastic cans can be used as a cactus seed pot in the first phase. If it’s a container that you reuse, it should be thoroughly cleaned to avoid the risk of food debris affecting the development of the cactus seeds.
2. The soil in which the seeds are grown can be bought from any flower store. However, it’s recommended to keep it in the freezer for one night to kill any present bacteria.
3. Mix the soil with a handful of fertilizer and make sure it’s spread well so that it can reach everywhere.
4. Before placing the seeds in pots, attach a label with the name of the cactus species that will grow there and the date you started to take care of it. It will be easier for you to distinguish between them, especially as some species have special care requirements.
5. Add the seeds and make sure they are well into the ground. Apply a moderate amount of water so that the soil will only settle a little.
6. Put each seed container in a plastic bag that closes hermetically with a zipper. This way of sealing the future plant is already famous among cacti breeders and has many benefits. Most important: you don’t need to soften the seeds because they will extract moisture from the resulting condensation inside the plastic bag.
7. Collect all containers in an aquarium (similar to fish). You must know that the cactus seeds appreciate the light, but not the sunlight. Even if the cactus grows in the desert, it will often develop under the shelter of a rock, just to shield from sunlight. Therefore, it’s recommended to provide a source of artificial light above them.
8. The optimal temperature for the development of cactus seeds is between 68 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit , so be sure to keep this temperature inside the aquarium.
Image Credits: Alisasflowers